Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Advice vs Advise

Yes, friends, it's time for another installment of Spelling Errors That Drive Me Crazy!

ADVICE vs ADVISE
                                                                                                      
Noun: guidance / Verb: to recommend




See how that works?

He ADVISED me not to give him any ADVICE.

Take my ADVICE. Please.

How can I ADVISE you if you won't let me give you any ADVICE?

She asked me to ADVISE her concerning the ADVICE she received from her sister.

6 comments:

  1. OK, so what is the rule on adviser vs. advisor?? I really thought "advisor" was correct, but it seems to anger the Spell Check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brynna - according to my quick yet thorough research, both adviser and advisor are considered correct. However, apparently both Oxford and Websters list the "er" version first, with "or" second -- possibly suggesting a tiny preference for the former (formor?)

      One source tells me that "er" is closer to the French, but another source notes that "or" is closer to the Latin. So whose side do you want to be on? (On whose side do you want to be?)

      Although one might suspect that this is is an American English vs British English issue -- that does not seem to be the case.

      Delete
    2. Well, as usual, the English language does not disappoint in the "complex answer to a simple question" category. :) Thanks for the info!

      Delete
    3. Mais bien sûr! All the more reason to study some other language -- one that is logical at least half the time!

      (And I just noticed that I typed "is" twice in a row in the third paragraph of my previous reply. Also, just now, I typed "precious" at first instead of "previous." Wheeeee!!!!!!!)

      Delete
  2. Well Scotti, I'll take your advice as you have advised me on what's right to write ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, as your advisor (adviser?), I appreciate you taking my advice about righting your writing!

      Delete

So, what do you say?